THIS TREASURE


My mother read classic literature.  One of her fondest books was The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1938.

The other was her beloved Bible.
I remember my mom sitting in the kitchen with both books tucked in the corner of the table up against the wall.

During the last years of her life, my mom's Bible became more precious to her, especially the Old Testament.

Mom read the King James because she had studied Shakespeare and she had no difficulty understanding "King's English".

My mom read the Scriptures more than twenty times from Genesis to Revelation.

She always advised me to read everything from the beginning,"but it's acceptable to skip around the Bible if you've read it a few times."

When the Bible was closed, her right hand was almost always guarding what she referred to as "this treasure."