"MY BOW IN THE CLOUD"

Let us not forget, as believers in our Triune God, what the bow in the cloud means to us. We live currently in a time which is similar to the days of Noah, if not much worse.

The narrative of the flood is a revealing account of God's judgment, His lovingkindness, and promise to His people.  We discover the desire of Almighty God: not to destroy, but to preserve humankind and all living things on a cleansed earth.  His covenant to never destroy the earth by flood is a reminder to Him, as it should be to His people.    

The following are excerpts from Genesis 6-9.
Gen 6:5-13
5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 
7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.  
12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
 
Gen 7:7-16, 18-23
7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.
18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. 
Gen 9:12-16
12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I remember the everlasting covenant. 


Landschaft mit dem Dankopfer Noahs ~ Joseph Anton Koch

Painting:  Landscape with Peace Offerings of Noah
Artist: Joseph Anton Koch