A MIND STAYED ON THEE


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee (Isaiah 26:3).

Are you hooked by the bait of social media and the news?  Being immersed in the world's nonsense and noise will inevitably lead to serious stress.

Let's think about how we spend our day.

With coffee mug in hand, we scroll Facebook, while political pundits rant in the background.

After spending the day at work, or home, we have dinner. We relax, phone in hand, scrolling Facebook, while commentators rant in our living room.

Time for bed.

What? You can't sleep??

My friends often ask how is it that I am calm, at peace.  They don't understand how I am able to disengage from the world's noise. Pull the plug. Peace out. 

Simple. 

Before my feet hit the rug in the morning, I thank the Lord for waking me up (at my age...well, you know), and I ask what I can do to glorify Him.

With coffee mug and Bible in hand, I study His Word.  It's quiet in my humble living room. The only sounds at dawn are the cardinals singing their little hearts out.

Then I gear up and walk a couple of miles. 

The rest of my day is spent cooking, reading, listening to classical music, studying the Word, exercising, writing, and soon it's time for dinner.  I may stream a half hour of news, but lately, not so much. I listen to a sermon before turning the lights out. (And I sleep like a baby, seven hours straight.)

Did I mention prayer?  Throughout the day.  Thanking and praising Him. Praying for His church.  Praying for His people.

If my mind is not stayed on Him, I would sadly take the bait of the world's foolishness.

So this morning, I was studying Isaiah, and found this booklet in chapter 26. It's written by A.W. Pink, and I'd like to share it with you.
(AL)


What is signified by a mind "stayed on" the Lord? 

First, to make the Lord the Portion of my soul. All around us are those vainly seeking contentment in things: such as money, and what it can buy, social prestige, fame, pleasures, all of which are broken cisterns which hold no water.

Only the One who made us can satisfy the heart; only as our affection is set upon "things above" do we drink of the Fountain of living waters. Just in proportion as "Delight thyself also in the LORD" (Psa. 37:4) will "perfect peace" be mine now.

Second, to receive from God's hand whatsoever enters my life. I need to cultivate the habit of looking beyond all secondary causes, all intermediary agents and human instruments, recognising that "of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are ALL things" (Rom. 11:36).

"Cease ye from man" (Isa. 2:22); conclude no more it is Satan who is seeking to disturb your rest; but say, "The cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it!" (John 18:11).

Just in proportion as we are enabled to say from the heart "It is the LORD: let Him do what seemeth Him good" (1 Sam. 3:18) will perfect peace be ours in this world of sin and turmoil.

Third, to leave the future entirely with God. And why not? Are not my "times" in His hand (Psa. 31:15)?

Has He not graciously cared for me and faithfully supplied my every need? Then why be fearful of what lies ahead? Has He not promised never to leave nor forsake me!

Just in proportion as I live a day at a time, and "Take therefore no anxious thought for the morrow" (Matt. 6:34) will perfect peace be mine even now.

But each of these three things is dependent upon the exercise of FAITH; as the text says "because he trusteth in Thee."


A.W. Pink, Perfect Peace

Photo: Angelina Lenahan
 Photo: Angelina Lenahan